Re: RustgreSQL

From: Jim Nasby <Jim(dot)Nasby(at)BlueTreble(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Gavin Flower <GavinFlower(at)archidevsys(dot)co(dot)nz>
Cc: Joel Jacobson <joel(at)trustly(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: RustgreSQL
Date: 2017-01-10 01:22:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 1/9/17 11:51 AM, Robert Haas wrote:
> Anyway, with regards to either Rust (which I know very little about)
> or C++ (which I know more about) I think it would be more promising to
> think about enabling extensions to be written in such languages than
> to think about converting the entire source base. A system like

Yeah, converting the entire codebase is probably doomed to failure from
the start.

> PostgreSQL is almost a language of its own; we don't really code for
> PostgreSQL in C, but in "PG-C". Learning the PG-specific idioms is
> arguably more work than learning C itself, and that would still be
> true, I think, if we had a "PG-C++" or a "PG-Rust" or a "PG-D"
> variant. Still, if having such variants drew more programmers to work
> on extending PostgreSQL, I think that would be worth some work on our
> part to enable it. However, maintaining multiple copies of our
> 1.2-million-line source base just for easier reference by people more
> familiar with one of those languages than with C sounds to me like it
> would create more problems than it would solve.

I do wonder if there are parts of the codebase that would be much better
suited to a language other than C, and could reasonably be ported.
Especially if that could be done in such a way that the net result is
still C code so we're not adding dependencies to non developers (similar
to bison).

Extensions are a step in that direction, but they're ultimately not core
Postgres (which is a different issue).
855-TREBLE2 (855-873-2532)