Re: Logical Replication and Character encoding

From: Euler Taveira <euler(at)timbira(dot)com(dot)br>
To: Kyotaro HORIGUCHI <horiguchi(dot)kyotaro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, noriyoshi(dot)shinoda(at)hpe(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Logical Replication and Character encoding
Date: 2017-02-02 03:45:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 01-02-2017 00:05, Kyotaro HORIGUCHI wrote:
> - Subscriber connects with client_encoding specification and the
> output plugin pgoutput decide whether it accepts the encoding
> or not. If the subscriber doesn't, pgoutput send data without
> conversion.

I don't think storage without conversion is an acceptable approach. We
should provide options to users such as ignore tuple or NULL for
column(s) with conversion problem. I wouldn't consider storage data
without conversion because it silently show incorrect data and we
historically aren't flexible with conversion routines.

--
Euler Taveira Timbira - http://www.timbira.com.br/