Re: Problem upgrading from Postgresql 9.5

From: Laurenz Albe <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at>
To: Adam Norwood <norwooda(at)wolvcoll(dot)ac(dot)uk>, "pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Problem upgrading from Postgresql 9.5
Date: 2021-07-15 09:08:04
Lists: pgsql-general

On Wed, 2021-07-14 at 16:12 +0000, Adam Norwood wrote:
> First post and I'm a complete beginner when it comes to Postgresql, however I've been tasked
> with updating a versionn 9.5 install on Ubuntu 20.04 to just about any later version I can
> get (latest preferably) but have hit a number of roadblocks.
>
> The machine has version 10 and 12 on it and by default, something I'm not sure how to change,
> postgresql tries to update to V12. However it hits the following errors when trying to update
>
> Upgrading database moodlelive...
> pg_dump: error: Dumping the contents of table "mdl_local_intelliboard_details" failed: PQgetResult() failed.
> pg_dump: error: Error message from server: ERROR: could not access status of transaction 2745040900
> DETAIL: Could not open file "pg_clog/0A39": No such file or directory.
> pg_dump: error: The command was: COPY "public"."mdl_local_intelliboard_details" ("id", "logid", "visits", "timespend", "timepoint") TO stdout;
> pg_restore: error: could not read from input file: end of file
> Error during cluster dumping, removing new cluster

Unlucky you. The database you are tasked with upgrading is suffering from data
corruption. You would get the same result if you

SELECT * FROM public.mdl_local_intelliboard_details;

You first have to deal with the data corruption, then you can upgrade.
You might have to hire an expert.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe