Re: "long" type is not appropriate for counting tuples

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: "long" type is not appropriate for counting tuples
Date: 2019-05-23 14:20:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2019-05-23 15:52, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Thu, May 23, 2019 at 5:31 AM Peter Eisentraut
> <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
>> Another option is that in cases where it doesn't affect storage layouts,
>> like the counting tuples case that started this thread, code could just
>> use long long int directly instead of int64. Then if someone wants to
>> make it 128 bits or 96 bits or whatever it would not be a problem.
>
> I think that sort of thing tends not to work out well, because at some
> point it's likely to be sent out via the wire protocol; at that point
> we'll need a value of a certain width. Better to use that width right
> from the beginning.

Hmm, by that argument, we shouldn't ever use any integer type other than
int16, int32, and int64.

I'm thinking for example that pgbench makes a lot of use of int64 and
printing that out makes quite messy code. Replacing that by long long
int would make this much nicer and should be pretty harmless relative to
your concern.