Re: Finalizing logical replication limitations as well as potential features

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
Cc: Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Finalizing logical replication limitations as well as potential features
Date: 2018-01-04 22:35:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 01/04/2018 01:26 PM, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>
>> We just queue/audit the changes as they happen and sync up the changes
>> after the initial sync completes.
> This already happens. There is an initial sync, and there's logical
> decoding that queues any changes that exist "after" the sync's snapshot.
>
> What you seem to want is to have multiple processes doing the initial
> COPY in parallel -- each doing one fraction of the table. Of course,
> they would have to use the same snapshot. That would make sense only
> if the COPY itself is the bottleneck and not the network, or the I/O
> speed of the origin server. This doesn't sound a common scenario to me.

Not quite but close. My thought process is that we don't want to sync
within a single snapshot a 100-500mil row table (or worse). Unless I am
missing something there, that has the potential to be a very long
running transaction especially if we are syncing more than one relation.

JD

PostgreSQL centered full stack support, consulting and development.
Advocate: @amplifypostgres || Learn: https://postgresconf.org
***** Unless otherwise stated, opinions are my own. *****