Re: Regaining superuser access

From: Bernt Drange <badrange(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Regaining superuser access
Date: 2008-09-18 16:01:27
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-hackers

On Sep 18, 2:35 pm, glynast(dot)(dot)(dot)(at)yahoo(dot)co(dot)uk (Glyn Astill) wrote:
> > The server only has one superuser, and for some reason he
> > decided to
> > remove the logon privilege on this user in PgAdmin III. So
> > now he has
> > lost superuser access to the database server.
>
> > Is there some way to override this setting? Or some way to
> > trick
> > PostgreSQL into creating a new superuser without superuser
> > access?
>
> Start it up in single user mode?
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/app-postgres.html

Thanks a bunch!

After a lot of fiddling with being able to enter single user mode on a
windows machine (I had to figure out how to run the command line as
the correct user, then for some reason -D didn't work, but SET
PGDATA=xxx worked), I finally managed to fix my problem.

You saved my user's day (of course *I* would never do something that
stupid)!

Bernt