Re: Fwd: Data caching

From: Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com>
To: Anant ngo <anant(dot)ietf(at)gmail(dot)com>, Anant ngo <anant(dot)iet(dot)f(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Fwd: Data caching
Date: 2022-08-18 19:49:47
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

On 8/18/22 09:39, Anant ngo wrote:
> Hello
>
> Is there a postgres extension or project related to
> application-level/foreign-table data caching ? The postgres_fdw
> extension fetches data from foreign table for each command.
>
> I have seen previous messages in archive about caching in form of global
> temp tables, query cache etc. There are good discussions about
> whether support should be built-in but did not find any implementation.

Cursors?

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/sql-declare.html

"A cursor created with WITH HOLD is closed when an explicit CLOSE
command is issued on it, or the session ends. In the current
implementation, the rows represented by a held cursor are copied into a
temporary file or memory area so that they remain available for
subsequent transactions."

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com