Re: Online verification of checksums

From: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Michael Banck <michael(dot)banck(at)credativ(dot)de>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Online verification of checksums
Date: 2019-03-05 13:08:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 3/5/19 4:12 AM, Michael Paquier wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 04, 2019 at 03:08:09PM +0100, Tomas Vondra wrote:
>> I still don't understand what issue you see in how basebackup verifies
>> checksums. Can you point me to the explanation you've sent after 11 was
>> released?
>
> The history is mostly on this thread:
> https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20181020044248.GD2553@paquier.xyz

Thanks, will look.

Based on quickly skimming that thread the main issue seems to be
deciding which files in the data directory are expected to have
checksums. Which is a valid issue, of course, but I was expecting
something about partial read/writes etc.

>> So you have a workload/configuration that actually results in data
>> corruption yet we fail to detect that? Or we generate false positives?
>> Or what do you mean by "100% safe" here?
>
> What's proposed on this thread could generate false positives. Checks
> which have deterministic properties and clean failure handling are
> reliable when it comes to reports.

My understanding is that:

(a) The checksum verification should not generate false positives (same
as for basebackup).

(b) The partial reads do emit warnings, which might be considered false
positives I guess. Which is why I'm arguing for changing it to do the
same thing basebackup does, i.e. ignore this.

regards

--
Tomas Vondra http://www.2ndQuadrant.com