Re: setting up raid10 with more than 4 drives

From: "Rajesh Kumar Mallah" <mallah(dot)rajesh(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Luke Lonergan" <llonergan(at)greenplum(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: setting up raid10 with more than 4 drives
Date: 2007-05-30 02:18:02
Lists: pgsql-performance

On 5/30/07, Luke Lonergan <llonergan(at)greenplum(dot)com> wrote:
> Stripe of mirrors is preferred to mirror of stripes for the best balance of
> protection and performance.

nooo! i am not aksing raid10 vs raid01 . I am considering stripe of
mirrors only.
the question is how are more number of disks supposed to be
BEST utilized in terms of IO performance for

1. for adding more mirrored stripes OR
2. for adding more harddrives to the mirrors.

say i had 4 drives in raid10 format

D1 raid1 D2 --> MD0
D3 raid1 D4 --> MD1
MD0 raid0 MD1 --> MDF (final)

now i get 2 drives D5 and D6 the i got 2 options

1. create a new mirror
D5 raid1 D6 --> MD2
MD0 raid0 MD1 raid0 MD2 --> MDF final

OR