Re: really quick multiple inserts can use COPY?

From: "Rajesh Kumar Mallah" <mallah(dot)rajesh(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Jens Schipkowski" <jens(dot)schipkowski(at)apus(dot)co(dot)at>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: really quick multiple inserts can use COPY?
Date: 2006-12-11 17:01:08
Lists: pgsql-performance

> So, my questions:
> Is it possible to use COPY FROM STDIN with JDBC?

Should be. Its at least possible using DBI and DBD::Pg (perl)

my $copy_sth = $dbh -> prepare( "COPY
general.datamining_mailing_lists (query_id,email_key) FROM STDIN;") ;
$copy_sth -> execute();
while (my ($email_key ) = $fetch_sth -> fetchrow_array ()) {
$dbh -> func("$query_id\t$email_key\n", 'putline');
}
$fetch_sth -> finish();
$dbh -> func("\\.\n", 'putline');
$dbh -> func('endcopy');
$copy_sth->finish();

Some JDBC expert would tell better how its done with JDBC.

> Will it bring performance improvement compared to SELECT UNION solution?

COPY is quite faast.

Regds
mallah.