Re: Remote On-line Backup

From: "Rajesh Kumar Mallah" <mallah(dot)rajesh(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Thomas F(dot) O'Connell" <tfo(at)sitening(dot)com>
Cc: "PgSQL Admin" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Remote On-line Backup
Date: 2006-03-30 04:14:44
Lists: pgsql-admin

On 3/29/06, Thomas F. O'Connell <tfo(at)sitening(dot)com> wrote:
> I just want to make sure that I've got a good enough understanding of
> the built-in on-line backup facility to be able to minimize data loss
> and unavailability of the database during a remote recovery from on-
> line backup.
>
> Here are the steps I'm proposing:
>
> 1. Set up archive_command in postgresql.conf on oldhost to archive to
> remote repository on newhost.
> 2. Perform base backup on oldhost. (I'll probably just use rsync to
> backup directly to newhost.)
> 3. On newhost, remove postmaster.pid from $PGDATA, disable
> archive_command in postgresql.conf, and create clean pg_xlog tree.
> 4. Stop the postmaster on oldhost.
> 5. If the WAL file referenced by the backup file in my archive
> directory on newhost is not archived when the postmaster is stopped,
> copy it from oldhost to pg_xlog on newhost.

even if it(STOP WAL) was archived in the new machine ,
you should also copy the last partially filled WAL log from pg_xlog
that was created just after the file refrenced in backup file
was archived.

I think the overall process is fine , you may consider
executing a test run skipping 4

Regds
Rajesh Kumar Mallah.