RE: Determine parallel-safety of partition relations for Inserts

From: "Hou, Zhijie" <houzj(dot)fnst(at)cn(dot)fujitsu(dot)com>
To: "Tsunakawa, Takayuki" <tsunakawa(dot)takay(at)fujitsu(dot)com>
Cc: 'Amit Kapila' <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Greg Nancarrow <gregn4422(at)gmail(dot)com>, vignesh C <vignesh21(at)gmail(dot)com>, Amit Langote <amitlangote09(at)gmail(dot)com>, David Rowley <dgrowleyml(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: RE: Determine parallel-safety of partition relations for Inserts
Date: 2021-01-28 11:30:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> From: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
> > Good question. I think if we choose to have a separate parameter for
> > DML, it can probably a boolean to just indicate whether to enable
> > parallel DML for a specified table and use the parallel_workers
> > specified in the table used in SELECT.
>
> Agreed.

Hi

I have an issue about the parameter for DML.

If we define the parameter as a tableoption.

For a partitioned table, if we set the parent table's parallel_dml=on,
and set one of its partition parallel_dml=off, it seems we can not divide the plan for the separate table.

For this case, should we just check the parent's parameter ?

Best regards,
houzj