Re: Confusing docs about GetForeignUpperPaths in fdwhandler.sgml

From: Etsuro Fujita <fujita(dot)etsuro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Confusing docs about GetForeignUpperPaths in fdwhandler.sgml
Date: 2016-09-02 11:30:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi Robert,

Thanks for the comments!

On 2016/09/02 11:55, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 1, 2016 at 5:44 PM, Etsuro Fujita
> <fujita(dot)etsuro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp> wrote:
>> I noticed that the following note about direct modification via
>> GetForeignUpperPaths in fdwhandler.sgml is a bit confusing. We have another
>> approach using PlanDirectModify, so that should be reflected in the note as
>> well. Please find attached a patch.
>>
>> <function>PlanForeignModify</> and the other callbacks described in
>> <xref linkend="fdw-callbacks-update"> are designed around the
>> assumption
>> that the foreign relation will be scanned in the usual way and then
>> individual row updates will be driven by a local
>> <literal>ModifyTable</>
>> plan node. This approach is necessary for the general case where an
>> update requires reading local tables as well as foreign tables.
>> However, if the operation could be executed entirely by the foreign
>> server, the FDW could generate a path representing that and insert it
>> into the <literal>UPPERREL_FINAL</> upper relation, where it would
>> compete against the <literal>ModifyTable</> approach.

> I suppose this is factually correct, but I don't think it's very
> illuminating. I think that if we're going to document both
> approaches, there should be some discussion of the pros and cons of
> PlanDirectModify vs. PlanForeignModify.

PlanDirectModify vs. GetForeignUpperPaths for an UPPERREL_FINAL upper
relation?

> Of course either should be
> better than an iterative ModifyTable, but how should the FDW author
> decide between the two of them?

That would apply to row locking. We have two approaches for that too:
GetForeignRowMarkType and GetForeignUpperPaths, which is documented in
the same paragraph following the above documentation:

This approach
could also be used to implement remote <literal>SELECT FOR UPDATE</>,
rather than using the row locking callbacks described in
<xref linkend="fdw-callbacks-row-locking">. Keep in mind that a path

The point of the patch is just to let the FDW author know that there is
another approach for implementing direct modification (ie,
PlanDirectModify) just as for implementing row locking.

I agree that the documentation about how the FDW author should decide
between the two would be helpful, but I'd like to leave that for future
work.

Best regards,
Etsuro Fujita