Platform for running Postgres 8.4

From: Michael Gould <mgould(at)intermodalsoftwaresolutions(dot)net>
To: PG_Novice <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Platform for running Postgres 8.4
Date: 2009-08-18 14:19:18
Lists: pgsql-novice

All,

We currently are using 8.4 on a Windows 2003 and 2008 server.  While all is
fine and we are rebuilding some of our older db servers we are considering
moving one of the servers tp a Linux or Solaris platform.  I don't normally
ask this kind of question because of this can be a very personal decision,
but what we'd like to know is what is the best Linux distribution to run
PostGres on.  We are not going to be running anything else so we don't need
all of the fancy bells and whistles that the various GUI's bring.  We want
this to be a mean and lean machine. The hardware will be 2 dual core XEON
processors and 12 Gig of RAM.  Our db is about 1.6 gig running on our
Windows server.

I would like some comments on which Linux distribution to look for and why.

Best Regards

--
Michael Gould, Managing Partner
Intermodal Software Solutions, LLC