Re: block-level incremental backup

From: Arthur Zakirov <a(dot)zakirov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: block-level incremental backup
Date: 2019-04-09 16:32:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello,

On 09.04.2019 18:48, Robert Haas wrote:
> - It would also be nice if pg_basebackup could write backups to places
> other than the local disk, like an object store, a tape drive, etc.
> But that also sounds like a separate effort.
>
> Thoughts?

(Just thinking out loud) Also it might be useful to have remote restore
facility (i.e. if pg_combinebackup could write to non-local storage), so
you don't need to restore the instance into a locale place and copy/move
to the remote machine. But it seems to me that it is the most nontrivial
feature and requires much more effort than other points.

In pg_probackup we have remote restore via SSH in the beta state. But
SSH isn't an option for in-core approach I think.

--
Arthur Zakirov
Russian Postgres Company