Re: Full text index not being used

From: Alex <alex(at)liivid(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Full text index not being used
Date: 2009-02-01 16:32:58
Lists: pgsql-general

So this seems to be because the result size is too big. I still don't
know why it is looping through every record and printing a warning,
but adding a LIMIT makes the queries complete in a reasonable time
(although not all that fast).

However I need to sort and also have many other facets that may or may
not be included in the query. Adding a sort makes it load every
record again and take forever.

I tried to create an index including all of the fields I query on to
see if that would work, but I get an error the the index row is too
large:

=> create index master_index on source_listings(geo_lat, geo_lon,
price, bedrooms, region, city, listing_type, to_tsvector('english',
full_listing), post_time);
NOTICE: word is too long to be indexed
DETAIL: Words longer than 2047 characters are ignored.
NOTICE: word is too long to be indexed
DETAIL: Words longer than 2047 characters are ignored.
NOTICE: word is too long to be indexed
DETAIL: Words longer than 2047 characters are ignored.
NOTICE: word is too long to be indexed
DETAIL: Words longer than 2047 characters are ignored.
ERROR: index row requires 13356 bytes, maximum size is 8191

Any ideas about how to resolve this?