Re: Table AM Interface Enhancements

From: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>
To: Alexander Korotkov <aekorotkov(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Pavel Borisov <pashkin(dot)elfe(at)gmail(dot)com>, Japin Li <japinli(at)hotmail(dot)com>, Mark Dilger <mark(dot)dilger(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>
Subject: Re: Table AM Interface Enhancements
Date: 2024-04-11 17:11:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, 2024-04-10 at 15:19 +0300, Alexander Korotkov wrote:
> 1) 9bd99f4c26 comprises the reworked patch after working with notes
> from Jeff Davis.  I agree it would be better to wait for him to
> express explicit agreement.  Before reverting this, I would prefer to
> hear his opinion.

On this particular feature, I had tried it in the past myself, and
there were a number of minor frustrations and I left it unfinished. I
quickly recognized that commit c95c25f9af was too simple to work.

Commit 9bd99f4c26 looked substantially better, but I was surprised to
see it committed so soon after the redesign. I thought a revert was
likely outcome, but I put it on my list of things to review more deeply
in the next couple weeks so I could give productive feedback.

It would benefit from more discussion in v18, and I apologize for not
getting involved earlier when the patch still could have made it into
v17.

Regards,
Jeff Davis