Re: How to analyze load average ?

From: "Tomas Vondra" <tv(at)fuzzy(dot)cz>
To: "Mark Felder" <feld(at)feld(dot)me>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: How to analyze load average ?
Date: 2012-08-06 15:27:18
Lists: pgsql-general

On 6 Srpen 2012, 16:54, Mark Felder wrote:
> On Mon, 06 Aug 2012 09:38:33 -0500, Tomas Vondra <tv(at)fuzzy(dot)cz> wrote:
>
>> Load average is defined as a number of processes in the run queue
>
> That depends on if he's running Linux or BSD.
>
> http://www.undeadly.org/cgi?action=article&sid=20090715034920

Well, even this link states that "... most unixen load average is some
measure of the size of the run queue - or the number of runnable processes
over a set period" and in this sense what I said is true even on BSD
systems. But you're right, the definitions are a bit different.

Although the OP mentioned he's using ext4, so I suppose he's running Linux
(although I know there was some ext4 support e.g. in FreeBSD).

Still, the load average 0.88 means the system is almost idle, especially
when there's no I/O activity etc.

Tomas