Re: FW: Re: create temp in function

From: "Kerri Reno" <kreno(at)yumaed(dot)org>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: FW: Re: create temp in function
Date: 2008-04-22 12:54:39
Lists: pgsql-general

Thanks to all who responded. I now know why execute will help this problem,
but then it causes a new problem. The example I sent you was trivial,
trying to get to the bottom of the issue. What I'm really trying to is get
past the restriction of execute to do SELECT INTO. That's why I created a
temporary table, so that that command could be dynamic, and then do a SELECT
INTO from that table. Because of the planning issue that won't work. I
can't upgrade to 8.3 at this time (long story). Any ideas how to do this?
Here is a section of my code.

begin
query = 'create temp table schedrec as select ' ||
'salary_schedule, pay_column, step from ' || tbl ||
' where cp_id = ' || to_char(tcp_id,'99999999');
raise notice 'query: %', query;
execute query;
select into relid distinct(attrelid) from pg_attribute where
attrelid='schedrec'::regclass;
raise notice 'relid: %', relid;
raise notice 'about to do select';
select into arow * from schedrec limit 1;
drop table schedrec;
return arow;
end;

Thanks so much!