Re: doc: add missing "id" attributes to extension packaging page

From: Brar Piening <brar(at)gmx(dot)de>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, "Karl O(dot) Pinc" <kop(at)karlpinc(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, vignesh C <vignesh21(at)gmail(dot)com>, Ian Lawrence Barwick <barwick(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: doc: add missing "id" attributes to extension packaging page
Date: 2023-03-23 19:08:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 23.03.2023 at 10:35, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> As with the <simplelist> patch, we'll need to patch the CSS used in the
> website for the docs too, as that's the most important place where docs
> are visited.

Ok, I've created and tested a patch for this too.

Since the need for ids is starting to grow again (ecb696527c added an id
to a varlistentry in doc/src/sgml/ref/create_subscription.sgml) I've
also amended the add-needed-ids patch once again so that the build does
not fail after applying the make_html_ids_discoverable patch.

I've also attached the (unchanged)  make_html_ids_discoverable patch for
convenience so this email now contains two patches for postgresql
(ending with .postgresql.patch) and one patch for pgweb (ending with
.pgweb.patch).

TBH I'm a bit afraid that people will immediately start complaining
about the failing docs builds after this got applied since it forces
them to add ids to all varlistenries in a variablelist if they add one,
which can be perceived as quite a burden (also committers and reviewers
will have to get used to always watch out for failing docs builds
because of this).

Since breaking the build on missing ids was an intentional decision we
can theoretically soften this by only issuing a warning or removing the
check for missing id's altogether but this would probably defeat the
purpose since it would lead to an increasing number of entries that lack
an id after a while.

Regards,

Brar

Attachment Content-Type Size
001-add-needed-ids_v2.postgresql.patch text/plain 7.4 KB
002-make_html_ids_discoverable_v4.postgresql.patch text/plain 5.2 KB
003-add-discoverable-id-style_v1.pgweb.patch text/plain 467 bytes