Re: Renice on Postgresql process

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Ben Chobot <bench(at)silentmedia(dot)com>, Ayappan P2 <ayappap2(at)in(dot)ibm(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Renice on Postgresql process
Date: 2018-05-23 23:45:29
Lists: pgsql-general

On 05/23/2018 04:36 PM, Ben Chobot wrote:

>> On May 7, 2018, at 11:50 PM, Ayappan P2 <ayappap2(at)in(dot)ibm(dot)com
>> <mailto:ayappap2(at)in(dot)ibm(dot)com>> wrote:
>>
>> We are doing "renice" on the main Postgresql process to give higher
>> scheduling priority because other critical operations depends on the
>> database.
>> You are saying that the database processes take longer to relinquish
>> their resources and we won't achieve anything out of renice, So i
>> assume renice of the database processes is not at all required ?
>> Thanks
>> Ayappan P
>
> Yes, if you make a db process nicer than the db takes longer to answer
> your queries. If the goal is to keep the load down on the db, that is
> usually going to be counterproductive.

Correct or in other words, the problem is bad provisioning. You need to
optimize your resources whether that be hardware/vm or code.

JD

*** A fault and talent of mine is to tell it exactly how it is. ***
PostgreSQL centered full stack support, consulting and development.
Advocate: @amplifypostgres || Learn: https://postgresconf.org
***** Unless otherwise stated, opinions are my own. *****