Re: pageinspect: Hash index support

From: Jesper Pedersen <jesper(dot)pedersen(at)redhat(dot)com>
To: Ashutosh Sharma <ashu(dot)coek88(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>, Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pageinspect: Hash index support
Date: 2017-01-05 13:29:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi Ashutosh,

On 01/05/2017 07:13 AM, Ashutosh Sharma wrote:
>> * Readded pageinspect--1.6.sql
>>
>> In order to have the latest pageinspect interface in 1 file, as we need
>> something to install from.
>
> I think there should be no problem even if we simply add
> pageinspect--1.5--1.6.sql file instead of removing 1.5.sql as with the
> latest changes to the create extension infrastructure in postgresql it
> automatically finds a lower version script if unable to find the
> default version script and then upgrade it to the latest version.
>
>> Removing --1.5.sql otherwise would give
>>
>> test=# CREATE EXTENSION "pageinspect";
>> ERROR: extension "pageinspect" has no installation script nor update path
>> for version "1.6"
>
> I didn't get this. Do you mean to say that if you add 1.6.sql and do
> not remove 1.5.sql you get this error when trying to add pageinspect
> module. I didn't
> get any such error. See below,
>
> postgres=# create extension pageinspect WITH VERSION '1.6';
> CREATE EXTENSION

The previous patch was using pageinspect--1.5.sql as a base, and then
uses pageinspect--1.5-1.6.sql to upgrade to version 1.6.

Removing pageinspect--1.5.sql, and adding pageinspect--1.6.sql with the
current interface will use pageinspect--1.6.sql directly where as
existing installations will use the upgrade scripts.

Hence I don't see a reason why we should keep pageinspect--1.5.sql
around when we can provide a clear interface description in a
pageinspect--1.6.sql.

> Peter has already written a test-case-[1] based on your earlier patch
> for supporting hash index with pageinspect module. Once the latest
> patch (v10) becomes stable i will share a separete patch having a
> test-case for hash index. Infact I will try to modify an already
> existing patch by Peter.

Ok, sounds good.

Best regards,
Jesper