Re: Storing timestamps in text format

From: Radosław Smogura <rsmogura(at)softperience(dot)eu>
To: Dave Cramer <pg(at)fastcrypt(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Storing timestamps in text format
Date: 2010-12-02 14:09:47
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

On Wed, 1 Dec 2010 16:36:18 -0500, Dave Cramer <pg(at)fastcrypt(dot)com> wrote:
> FWIW, timestamps with time zones are pretty useless artifacts since
> they are not monotonic, due to to daylight savings time. Further
> exacerbating the problem of DST is that it is not the same everywhere.
> Some people observe it, some don't.
>
> Dave

I generally doesn't treat TIMESTAMP TZ, as some information about Time
Zone, but like UTC time (it's even good way, because PG doesn't store TZ
info), until PG will not encode tstz with wrong offset, should be no
problem.

In any case I can't find any info about true errors with JDBC and
PostgreSQL. If there are I really would like to read it.
--
Radosław Smogura