Re: cross-compiling plpython

From: Nikhil Sontakke <nikhil(dot)sontakke(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Tino Wildenhain <tino(at)wildenhain(dot)de>, petere(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: cross-compiling plpython
Date: 2009-03-17 08:47:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> So, I realized that there does not seem to be an easy way for cross
>> compiling plpython. The configure checks for the locally installed python
>> include locations and eventually the plpython makefile ends up picking all
>> the local includes too.
>> Does anyone have any experiences on cross-compiling plpython before?
>> Obviously I can hack the Makefile to point to the host environment headers,
>> but is there a neater way? Also I suspect the plpython.so so generated might
>> not load on the host later too because its looking for the libpython.so
>> somewhere else too.
>>

> Did you check debian source packages? At least I believe they do not
> compile everything on the respective system so there must be some hooks
> for crosscompiling.

The main issue that I discovered was regarding setting python_includespec
and python_libspec to point them to the relevant headers and library
locations respectively. Also obviously we cannot invoke the build machine's
python to get the other information. We can go down the route of introducing
some PYTHON_* variables and use them to set the above location variables to
help out for cross-compilation.

Regards,
Nikhils

--