Re: PostgreSQL versus MySQL for GPS Data

From: Peter Childs <peterachilds(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL versus MySQL for GPS Data
Date: 2009-04-21 19:15:00
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-general

2009/3/19 Shane Ambler <pgsql(at)sheeky(dot)biz>:
> Thomas Kellerer wrote:
>>
>> Harald Armin Massa, 17.03.2009 15:00:
>>>
>>> That is: what table size would you or anybody consider really, really
>>> large actually?
>>
>> I recently attended and Oracle training by Tom Kyte and he said (partially
>> joking though) that a database is only large when the size
>> is measured in terrabytes :) So really, really large would mean something
>> like 100 petabytes
>>

>> My personal opinion is that a "large" database has more than ~10 million
>> rows in more than ~10 tables.
>>
>> Thomas
>>

> I would say that as far as GPS data goes the street maps of the world
> would be pretty big.
>
> openstreetmap.org is still a work in progress but their current db dumps
> gzip down to 6.4GB. It was a while back that I noseyed around with it
> but I do recall that it compressed well and was very large uncompressed.
> Don't recall how many rows it contained.
>
> I wonder what an almost complete world street map like google maps comes
> in at?

Hmm Interestingly OSM have just switched from MySQL to PostgreSQL.

I think this is a big pat on the back for PostgreSQL and a sign that
PostgreSQL is now gaining the level of users that it always should
have had....

The 6.4Gb is BZipped XML, its over 150G of XML and is not actually the
total size of the OSM database, as that has extra historical and who
done it data as well, plus index etc. I would want to have at least
1/2TB minimum to put it on a machine probably more.....

Peter.

Peter.