Re: Primary Key

From: "Peter Childs" <peterachilds(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Primary Key
Date: 2007-11-23 09:33:13
Lists: pgsql-general

On 21/11/2007, Sascha Bohnenkamp <asbohnenkamp(at)gmx(dot)de> wrote:

> > Fie on you evil synthetic key lovers. Long live the Natural Key!
>
> think of an foreign key referencing a primary key with 6 columns *urgs*
> never!

The worse thing I meet is people who think primary keys need to be integer
single field unique serial fields

I tend to agree that primary keys should be single fields if they need to be
referenced but should also be natural if at all possible. ie use car number
plates rather than some serial int.

Peter.