Re: No such file or directory in pg_replslot

From: Adrien NAYRAT <adrien(dot)nayrat(at)anayrat(dot)info>
To: Jeremy Finzel <finzelj(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Subject: Re: No such file or directory in pg_replslot
Date: 2018-12-11 11:46:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 12/8/18 8:21 PM, Jeremy Finzel wrote:
> There are 2.1 million files in pg_replslot which I don't think is
> normal?  Any ideas as to where I should be looking or what could cause this?

Postgres spills changes on disk when you have a big transaction:
https://blog.anayrat.info/en/2018/03/10/logical-replication-internals/

You can monitor it with check_pgactivity's replication_slots service:
https://github.com/OPMDG/check_pgactivity/blob/master/check_pgactivity#L5664

(You have to use master version, this feature has not been released yet)