Re: Effects of setting linux block device readahead size

From: "Scott Carey" <scott(at)richrelevance(dot)com>
To: "Greg Smith" <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>
Cc: "Mark Wong" <markwkm(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Gabrielle Roth" <gorthx(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Selena Deckelmann" <selenamarie(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Effects of setting linux block device readahead size
Date: 2008-09-11 20:44:40
Lists: pgsql-performance

Sorry, I forgot to mention the Linux kernel version I'm using, etc:

2.6.18-92.1.10.el5 #1 SMP x86_64
CentOS 5.2.

The "adaptive" read-ahead, as well as other enhancements in the kernel, are
taking place or coming soon in the most recent stuff. Some distributions
offer the adaptive read-ahead as an add-on (Debian, for example). This is
an area where much can be improved in Linux http://kerneltrap.org/node/6642
http://kernelnewbies.org/Linux_2_6_23#head-102af265937262a7a21766ae58fddc1a29a5d8d7

I obviously did not test how the new read-ahead stuff impacts these sorts of
tests.