Re: Listing triggers in partitions (was Re: Remove mention in docs that foreign keys on partitioned tables)

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Amit Langote <Langote_Amit_f8(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, Ashutosh Bapat <ashutosh(dot)bapat(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, David Rowley <david(dot)rowley(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Listing triggers in partitions (was Re: Remove mention in docs that foreign keys on partitioned tables)
Date: 2018-06-28 21:23:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 6/28/18 22:52, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>> Couldn't psql chase the pg_depend links to find inherited triggers?
>
> Yeah, I thought this would be exceedingly ugly, but apparently it's not
> *that* bad -- see the attached patch, which relies on the fact that
> triggers don't otherwise depend on other triggers. We don't use this
> technique elsewhere in psql though.

Yeah, relying on pg_depend to detect relationships between catalog
objects is a bit evil. We do use this for detecting sequences linked to
tables, which also has its share of problems. Ideally, there would be a
column in pg_trigger, perhaps, that makes this link explicit. But we
are looking here for a solution without catalog changes, I believe.