Re: New strategies for freezing, advancing relfrozenxid early

From: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>
To: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>
Cc: Matthias van de Meent <boekewurm+postgres(at)gmail(dot)com>, John Naylor <john(dot)naylor(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: New strategies for freezing, advancing relfrozenxid early
Date: 2022-12-22 00:30:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, 2022-12-20 at 21:26 -0800, Peter Geoghegan wrote:
> When freeze_required is set to true, that means that lazy_scan_prune
> literally has no choice -- it simply must freeze the page as
> instructed by heap_prepare_freeze_tuple/FreezeMultiXactId. It's not
> just a strong suggestion -- it's crucial that lazy_scan_prune freezes
> the page as instructed.

The confusing thing to me is perhaps just the name -- to me,
"freeze_required" suggests that if it were set to true, it would cause
freezing to happen. But as far as I can tell, it does not cause
freezing to happen, it causes some other things to happen that are
necessary when freezing happens (updating and using the right
trackers).

A minor point, no need to take action here. Perhaps rename the
variable.

I think 0001+0002 are about ready.

--
Jeff Davis