Re: pgbackrest with PAF(corosync and pacmaker)

From: David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>
To: pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgbackrest with PAF(corosync and pacmaker)
Date: 2019-10-17 10:18:42
Lists: pgsql-general

On 10/17/19 9:48 AM, Ajay Pratap wrote:

> I am using pacemaker and corosync to setup two nodes High availability
> cluster for postgreSQL 10. In the scenario I want to setup timely backup
> with pgbackrest.
> Using the _backup from standby_ feature I could able to take backup from
> my secondary  postgres. But if secondary postgres is down, it does not
> take backup from primary.

This is entirely on purpose. Backup from standby is designed to reduce
load on the primary so we believe it is counter-intuitive to put load
back on the primary when the standby is down. Running backups *at all*
when degraded is usually a bad idea.

> Is there any way to achieve this?

You can run more than one standby and pgBackRest will automatically
select the first one it finds that is up. If you must take a backup
when degraded then you can specify --no-backup-standby on the command
line to disable standby for that one backup.

Regards,
--
-David
david(at)pgmasters(dot)net