Re: A question about sequences and backup/restore cycles

From: Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com>
To: stan <stanb(at)panix(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: A question about sequences and backup/restore cycles
Date: 2019-10-22 19:48:41
Lists: pgsql-general

On 10/22/19 10:48 AM, stan wrote:
Please reply to list also:
Ccing list.

> Sorry if my description was not clear.
>
> No, we do not mix test, and production data. Let me try to clarify the
> question. Looking at a pg_dump, I see the following:
>

> CREATE SEQUENCE public.customer_key_serial
> START WITH 1
> INCREMENT BY 1
> NO MINVALUE
> NO MAXVALUE
> CACHE 1;
>

> Yet, in the same pg_dump file I have:
>

> COPY public.customer (customer_key, cust_no, name, c_type, location,
> bill_address_1, bill_address_2, bill_city, bill_state, bill_zip,
> bill_country, bill_attention, bill_addressee, ship_address_1,
> ship_address_2, ship_addressee, ship_attention, ship_city, ship_state,
> ship_zip, office_phone_area_code, office_phone_exchange,
> office_phone_number, office_phone_extension, cell_phone_area_code,
> cell_phone_exchange, cell_phone_number, ship_phone_area_code,
> ship_phone_exchange, ship_phone_number, ship_phone_extension,
> fax_phone_area_code, fax_phone_exchange, fax_phone_number, status, modtime)
> FROM stdin;
> 1 12 Made Up Inc. INDUSTRIAL_CONVEYOR \N 101 Nowhere
> Ave. \N LaGrange GA 00000 \N \N \N
> \N \N \N \N \N \N 00000 \N \N \N
> \N \N \N \N \N \N \N \N \N
> \N \N ACTIVE 2019-09-30 23:55:04.594203+00
> 2 5 Jimmys Favorite Customer. PLASTICS \N
> 56 Somewhere St. \N No Such City SC 00000 \N
> \N \N \N \N \N \N \N \N 00000
> \N \N \N \N \N \N \N \N \N
> \N \N \N \N \N ACTIVE 2019-09-30
> 23:55:04.636827+00
>
> So it appears to me the customer table is going to get (correctly) populated
> with the originally generated keys, yet the sequence will want to return a 1
> the next time it is called, when a new customer gets inserted.
>
> Am I missing something here?

Yes something like this, in dump file, for non-serial sequence:

CREATE SEQUENCE public.plant1_p_item_no_seq
START WITH 1
INCREMENT BY 1
NO MINVALUE
NO MAXVALUE
CACHE 1;

SELECT pg_catalog.setval('public.plant1_p_item_no_seq', 5509, true);

or for serial sequence:

CREATE SEQUENCE public.avail_headers_line_id_seq
AS integer
START WITH 1
INCREMENT BY 1
NO MINVALUE
NO MAXVALUE
CACHE 1;

ALTER TABLE ONLY public.avail_headers ALTER COLUMN line_id SET DEFAULT
nextval('public.avail_headers_line_id_seq'::regclass);

SELECT pg_catalog.setval('public.avail_headers_line_id_seq', 53, true);

If you want to see how things are run on a higher level do something like:

pg_dump -Fc -d some_db -f db.out

pg_restore -l db_out > db_toc.txt

-l on pg_restore creates a TOC(table of contents) showing the ordering
of the schema recreation.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com