Re: Connection limit doesn't work for superuser

From: Laurenz Albe <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at>
To: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Andrey Borodin <x4mmm(at)yandex-team(dot)ru>, Евгений Ефимкин <efimkin(at)yandex-team(dot)ru>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Connection limit doesn't work for superuser
Date: 2018-11-08 12:07:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tomas Vondra wrote:
> On 11/7/18 5:19 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> > I think this proposal boils down to asking for support for an
> > incredibly bad application design, and equipping every database with
> > an additional foot-gun in order to have that.
>
> I'm not sure about that. IMHO being able to restrict the number of
> superuser connections can be used to force users to use regular
> (non-superuser) roles for stuff that does not require that. Which should
> encourage better application design.
>
> Of course, the question is whether such limit can actually be enforced
> reliably (I mean, can't the superuser simply change it?) and whether
> handing over superuser accounts to application users is a good idea in
> general ...

None of these arguments for enforcing a connection limit for superusers
sound terribly compelling to me.

He who is tempted to run his application with a superuser for
simplicitly's sake will not be the person to set a connection limit
for superusers.

I concur with Tom that this will do more harm than good.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe