Re: pg_rewind WAL segments deletion pitfall

From: torikoshia <torikoshia(at)oss(dot)nttdata(dot)com>
To: Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: bungina(at)gmail(dot)com, cyberdemn(at)gmail(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_rewind WAL segments deletion pitfall
Date: 2023-06-29 09:42:37
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-hackers

On 2023-06-29 10:25, Kyotaro Horiguchi wrote:
Thanks for the comment!

> At Wed, 28 Jun 2023 22:28:13 +0900, torikoshia
> <torikoshia(at)oss(dot)nttdata(dot)com> wrote in
>>
>> On 2022-09-29 17:18, Polina Bungina wrote:
>> > I agree with your suggestions, so here is the updated version of
>> > patch. Hope I haven't missed anything.
>> > Regards,
>> > Polina Bungina
>>
>> Thanks for working on this!
>> It seems like we are also facing the same issue.
>
> Thanks for looking this.
>
>> I tested the v3 patch under our condition, old primary has succeeded
>> to become new standby.
>>

>> BTW when I used pg_rewind-removes-wal-segments-reproduce.sh attached
>> in [1], old primary also failed to become standby:
>>
>> FATAL: could not receive data from WAL stream: ERROR: requested WAL
>> segment 000000020000000000000007 has already been removed
>>
>> However, I think this is not a problem: just adding restore_command
>> like below fixed the situation.
>>
>> echo "restore_command = '/bin/cp `pwd`/newarch/%f %p'" >>
>> oldprim/postgresql.conf
>
> I thought on the same line at first, but that's not the point
> here.

Yes. I don't think adding restore_command solves the problem and
modification to prevent deleting necessary WAL like proposed
patch is necessary.

I added restore_command since
pg_rewind-removes-wal-segments-reproduce.sh failed to catch up
even after applying v3 patch and prevent pg_rewind from delete
WALs(*), because some necessary WALs were archived.

It's not a problem we are discussing here, but I wanted to get
the script to work to the point where old primary could
successfully catch up to new primary.

(*)Specifically, running the script without apply the patch,
recovery failed because 000000010000000000000003 which has
already been removed. This file was deleted by pg_rewind as
we know.
OTHO without the restore_command, recovery failed because
000000020000000000000007 has already been removed even after
applying the patch.

> The problem we want ot address is that pg_rewind ultimately
> removes certain crucial WAL files required for the new primary to
> start, despite them being present previously.

I thought it's not "new primary", but "old primary".

> In other words, that
> restore_command works, but it only undoes what pg_rewind wrongly did,
> resulting in unnecessary consupmtion of I/O and/or network bandwidth
> that essentially serves no purpose.

As far as I tested using the script and the situation we are facing,
after promoting newprim necessary WAL(000000010000000000000003..) were
not available and just adding restore_command did not solve the problem.

> pg_rewind already has a feature that determines how each file should
> be handled, but it is currently making wrong dicisions for WAL
> files. The goal here is to rectify this behavior and ensure that
> pg_rewind makes the right decisions.

+1

--
Regards,