Re: plperl doesn't release memory

From: Dan Sugalski <dan(at)sidhe(dot)org>
To: Sven Willenberger <sven(at)dmv(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: plperl doesn't release memory
Date: 2005-03-24 19:50:50
Lists: pgsql-general

At 1:51 PM -0500 3/24/05, Tom Lane wrote:
>What you probably ought to do next is build Postgres with a debugging
>malloc library to learn more about who's eating up what. I am not sure
>whether libperl will automatically use the malloc attached to the main
>executable or whether you need to whack it around too. (Come to think
>of it, doesn't Perl normally use its very own private malloc? Maybe
>there's an issue right there ...)

Perl can, yeah. If a

perl -V

shows a "usemymalloc=y" in the output somewhere then perl's using its
own internal malloc and you're definitely never going to release
memory to anything. If it's 'n' then it'll use the default malloc
scheme -- I'm pretty sure for embedding use it uses whatever routines
the embedder defines, but it's been a while since I've poked around
in there.

Anyway, if perl's using its own memory allocator you'll want to
rebuild it to not do that.
--
Dan

Dan Sugalski even samurai
dan(at)sidhe(dot)org have teddy bears and even
teddy bears get drunk