Re: Looking for postgres equivalent of mysqlimport

From: "M(dot) Bastin" <marcbastin(at)mindspring(dot)com>
To: Sean Davis <sdavis2(at)mail(dot)nih(dot)gov>
Cc: Postgres <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Looking for postgres equivalent of mysqlimport
Date: 2004-09-17 13:28:32
Lists: pgsql-novice

At 9:13 AM -0400 9/17/04, Sean Davis wrote:
>I am looking for the rough equivalent of:

>--fields-enclosed-by='"' genekeydb *csv >report
>
>In particular, I have '"' enclosed fields.

As far as I know there's nothing to determine enclosed fields with
postgresql and you'll have to trim these '"' off after the import.

For the import, what you're looking for is COPY TO/FROM ...

Here's the documentation on COPY:
<http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.4/interactive/sql-copy.html>

If this is a one time operation that you don't need to program into
your solution you can easily do it with Eduphant from any Win or Mac
client: <http://aliacta.com/download>
In Eduphant, click the "stdin" button to select the file you want to
import, then type the appropriate COPY command and execute it.

General caveat on imports: make sure you don't mix up text encodings!

Cheers,

Marc