Multiple clients over singele TCP/IP connection

From: "M(dot) Bastin" <marcbastin(at)mindspring(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Multiple clients over singele TCP/IP connection
Date: 2004-07-16 11:57:57
Lists: pgsql-novice

This is a "best practice" question.

Imagine you have 2 computers. One is a web server and the other runs
PostgreSQL. Multiple browsers from all over the net connect to the
web server, but to minimize load, the web server itself opens only 1
TCP/IP connection with PostgreSQL. (This is a general question, it
doesn't have to be a web server. It could be any kind of
"middleman".)

How would all the browsers be best served simultaneously?

The solution I think about is to use the extended query protocol,
open an infinitely lasting transaction, and have a portal per browser.

That would work to read data until an error occurs and the
transaction would roll back and then *all* browsers' sessions would
have to be reset.

(Therefore to write data I'd have to cheat and still open a second
TCP/IP connection over which each insert or update gets committed
instantly.)

Is there a better way to implement concurrent users over 1 single
TCP/IP session?

Thanks,

Marc