Extended query: prepared statements list?

From: "M(dot) Bastin" <marcbastin(at)mindspring(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Extended query: prepared statements list?
Date: 2004-07-14 10:32:32
Lists: pgsql-novice
Hi,

Is there a query on some system table that will list all names of
prepared statements?

(FYI: To those wondering about the extended query language I've got
it working now and it is impressive.  E.g. for an uncomplicated query
like

    SELECT * FROM population WHERE age > 12 AND age < 20;

the total execution time will be _twice as fast_ as with the simple
query language.  When you look at only the PostgreSQL reaction time
it is more than 10 times faster, while the time for the reception and
parsing of the data by the frontend remains the same of course.

I haven't tried heavy, complicated queries yet but I can only imagine
that will give even more spectacular results.

The fact that you can work with parameters opens up a whole new
dimension as well, e.g.:

    SELECT * FROM population WHERE age > $1 AND age < $2;

I only wish there were more documentation about the extended query
language.  All I've found on the whole internet would hold on 2 to 3
printed pages.  Did I miss something?)

Thanks,

Marc