Re: Extended query: prepared statements list?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "M(dot) Bastin" <marcbastin(at)mindspring(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Extended query: prepared statements list?
Date: 2004-07-14 14:37:32
Lists: pgsql-novice

"M. Bastin" <marcbastin(at)mindspring(dot)com> writes:
> Is there a query on some system table that will list all names of
> prepared statements?

No, since they are never stored on disk. We could think of providing
some operation in the FE/BE protocol to list the available statements,
perhaps. (In retrospect I guess it was a mistake to have the Describe
message raise a hard error for no-such-statement. If it just sent
back a message without aborting your transaction, you could use Describe
to probe whether you'd prepared a given name yet.)

Same comments apply to Portals I suppose.

If you'd like to lobby to get this changed, pgsql-novice is not the
place; pgsql-interfaces or pgsql-hackers would be more appropriate.