Re: ORDER BY and Unicode

From: "M(dot) Bastin" <marcbastin(at)mindspring(dot)com>
To: Stephan Szabo <sszabo(at)megazone(dot)bigpanda(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: ORDER BY and Unicode
Date: 2004-05-12 15:30:28
Lists: pgsql-novice

> > 2. "ORDER BY mycolumn" gives a wrong sort order.
>>
>> Uppercase ASCII characters come first, then
>> lowercase ASCII, then accented characters...
>> This really isn't what a human would like to see.
>
>This is driven by locale, what LC_COLLATE value
>was the database created with (if you don't know then
>pg_controldata should give that to you)?
>
>It sounds like the locale is "C" locale which means
>sort by byte value or perhaps the locale is one that isn't
>for the correct encoding.

I've found this:
<http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.4/interactive/charset.html#LOCALE>

"locale -a" isn't recognized on OS X. How else can I find the
possible locales?

And how can I do an initdb so that sorting on Unicode will work for
French, Greek, Japanase, etc. users of a single database?

Thanks,

Marc