Re: concurrent cursors possible with portals?

From: "M(dot) Bastin" <marcbastin(at)mindspring(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: concurrent cursors possible with portals?
Date: 2004-07-01 17:24:36
Lists: pgsql-novice

>"M. Bastin" <marcbastin(at)mindspring(dot)com> writes:
>> I'm reading the docs about the extended query language and the
>> portals. Is it possible to use portals as a kind of concurrent
>> cursors over a single TCP/IP connection?
>> Or should you execute and close portals one after another and never
>> execute the next portal before the previous one is closed? (Like
>> regular transactions.)
>
>You can certainly have multiple portals open and fetch from different
>ones in turn; not clear if that's what you meant.

Yes, I was thinking about a threaded client that would be able to
fetch from several portals (quasi) simultaneously and repeatedly (but
with other parameters) over 1 TCP/IP connection.

The only thing that bothers me is the Sync command that would put an
end to all portals at once isn't it? The docs seem to say you need
to issue a sync after each cycle. There doesn't seem to be a
possibility to selectively keep some portals open this way.

That's what I make from reading the docs, I haven't had the chance to
actually experiment with it yet. (I'm in the process of implementing
the frontend-backend protocol v3 for my IDE. Only after that can I
start experimenting.)

Marc