Re: trouble with db-restore

From: Heiko Irrgang <irrgang(at)SC-Networks(dot)de>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: trouble with db-restore
Date: 2001-01-09 17:36:27
Lists: pgsql-general

>Heiko Irrgang <irrgang(at)SC-Networks(dot)de> writes:
>> i simply use pg_dumpall with no params for dumping the
>> data, but when i used psql for restoring the data,
>> every view was created as a table and was filled up
>> with the data which the view had been delivered at
>> the time of the backup.
>
>This is extremely surprising; I've never heard of such a report before.
>
>It would seem that pg_dump failed to recognize your views as being
>views. The only theory I can come up with offhand is that you are
>using a pg_dump version that is not compatible with the database
>server version you are running. Since you have said nothing about
>what version you are using, it's hard to guess more ...
>
> regards, tom lane

On the first server, where the backup was done
a binary distribution was installed
(think it was from postgresql.org). The filenames were called:
postgresql-7.0.2-3mdk.i686.rpm, etc

On the new server, there is 7.0.2 too, but compiled from source,
dont know if this could be a hint. i'm shure that the
pg_dump used was the version which was delivered with the
binaries.

The whole thing is running on a turbolinux turbocluster server 4.0,
kernel 2.2.12, glibc 2.1.2
--
SC-Networks www: www.SC-Networks.de
Web Design, Netzwerke,

82377 Penzberg Mail: Irrgang(at)SC-Networks(dot)de