Re: ALTER TABLE SET ACCESS METHOD on partitioned tables

From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>, Alexander Lakhin <exclusion(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(at)eisentraut(dot)org>, Soumyadeep Chakraborty <soumyadeep2007(at)gmail(dot)com>, Zhihong Yu <zyu(at)yugabyte(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Ashwin Agrawal <ashwinstar(at)gmail(dot)com>, vanjared(at)vmware(dot)com
Subject: Re: ALTER TABLE SET ACCESS METHOD on partitioned tables
Date: 2024-04-16 05:19:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Apr 16, 2024 at 02:14:21PM +0900, Michael Paquier wrote:
> It seems to me that we are going to extend the GUC
> default_table_access_method with a "default" mode to be able to force
> relam to 0 and make a difference with the non-0 case, in the same way
> as ALTER TABLE SET ACCESS METHOD DEFAULT. The thing is that, like
> tablespaces, we have to rely on a GUC and not a USING clause to be
> able to handle --no-table-access-method.
>
> An interesting point comes to what we should do for
> default_table_access_method set to "default" when dealing with
> something else than a partitioned table, where an error may be
> adapted. Still, I'm wondering if there are more flavors I lack
> imagination for. This requires more careful design work.
>
> Perhaps somebody has a good idea?

Actually, I've come up with an idea just after hitting the send
button: let's use an extra ALTER TABLE SET ACCESS METHOD rather than
rely on the GUC to set the AM of the partitioned table correctly.
This extra command should be optional, depending on
--no-table-access-method. If a partitioned table has 0 as relam,
let's not add this extra ALTER TABLE at all.
--
Michael