Re: Possibility to disable `ALTER SYSTEM`

From: Abhijit Menon-Sen <ams(at)toroid(dot)org>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Jelte Fennema-Nio <postgres(at)jeltef(dot)nl>, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Joel Jacobson <joel(at)compiler(dot)org>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Gabriele Bartolini <gabriele(dot)bartolini(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(dot)hagander(at)redpill-linpro(dot)com>, Maciek Sakrejda <m(dot)sakrejda(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Possibility to disable `ALTER SYSTEM`
Date: 2024-03-26 12:55:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

At 2024-03-26 08:11:33 -0400, robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com wrote:

> > > maybe "externally_managed_auto_config"
> >
> > How many people associate "auto" with ALTER SYSTEM? I assume not many.
> >
> > To me, externally_managed_configuration is promising a lot more than it
> > delivers because there is still a lot of ocnfiguration it doesn't
> > control. I am also confused why the purpose of the feature, external
> > management of configuation, is part of the variable name. We usually
> > name parameters for what they control.
>
> I actually agree with this. I wasn't going to quibble with it because
> other people seemed to like it. But I think something like
> allow_alter_system would be better, as it would describe the exact
> thing that the parameter does, rather than how we think the parameter
> ought to be used.

Yes, "externally_managed_configuration" raises far more questions than
it answers. "enable_alter_system" is clearer in terms of what to expect
when you set it. "enable_alter_system_command" is rather long, but even
better in that it is specific enough to not promise anything about not
allowing superusers to change the configuration some other way.

-- Abhijit (as someone who could find a use for this feature)