Re: Introduce XID age and inactive timeout based replication slot invalidation

From: Bertrand Drouvot <bertranddrouvot(dot)pg(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Bharath Rupireddy <bharath(dot)rupireddyforpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, Nathan Bossart <nathandbossart(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Introduce XID age and inactive timeout based replication slot invalidation
Date: 2024-03-20 08:21:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On Wed, Mar 20, 2024 at 12:48:55AM +0530, Bharath Rupireddy wrote:

> > > Yeah, I have something like that in mind. You can prepare the patch
> > > but it would be good if others involved in this thread can also share
> > > their opinion.
> >
> > I think it makes sense to put the inactive_timeout granularity at the slot
> > level (as the activity could vary a lot say between one slot linked to a
> > subcription and one linked to some plugins). As far max_slot_xid_age I've the
> > feeling that a new GUC is good enough.
>
> Well, here I'm implementing the above idea.

Thanks!

> The attached v12 patches
> majorly have the following changes:
>
> 2. last_inactive_at and inactive_timeout are now tracked in on-disk
> replication slot data structure.

Should last_inactive_at be tracked on disk? Say the engine is down for a period
of time > inactive_timeout then the slot will be invalidated after the engine
re-start (if no activity before we invalidate the slot). Should the time the
engine is down be counted as "inactive" time? I've the feeling it should not, and
that we should only take into account inactive time while the engine is up.

Regards,

--
Bertrand Drouvot
PostgreSQL Contributors Team