Re: documentation structure

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: documentation structure
Date: 2024-03-22 17:35:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Mar 22, 2024 at 08:32:14AM -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 21, 2024 at 6:32 PM David G. Johnston
> <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> > Just going to note that the section on the cumulative statistics views being a single page is still a strongly bothersome issue here. Though the quick fix actually requires upgrading the section to chapter status...
>
> Yeah, I've been bothered by this in the past, too. I'm not very keen
> to start promoting things to the top-level, though. I think we need a
> more thoughtful fix than that.
>
> One question I have is why all of these views are documented here
> rather than in chapter 53, "System Views," because surely they are
> system views. I feel like if our documentation index weren't a mile
> long and if you could easily find the entry for "System Views," that's
> where you would naturally look for these details. I don't think it's
> natural for a user to expect that most of the system views are going
> to be documented in section VII, chapter 53 but one particular kind is
> going to be documented in section III, chapter 27, under a chapter

Well, until this commit in 2022, the system views were _under_ the
system catalogs chapter:

commit 64d364bb39c
Author: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Date: Thu Jul 14 16:07:12 2022 -0400

doc: move system views section to its own chapter

Previously it was inside the system catalogs chapter.

Reported-by: Peter Smith

Discussion: https://postgr.es/m/CAHut+PsMc18QP60D+L0hJBOXrLQT5m88yVaCDyxLq34gfPHsow@mail.gmail.com

Backpatch-through: 15

The thread contains more discussion the issue, and I think it still needs help:

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/CAHut%2BPsMc18QP60D%2BL0hJBOXrLQT5m88yVaCDyxLq34gfPHsow%40mail.gmail.com

EDB https://enterprisedb.com