Re: meson: Specify -Wformat as a common warning flag for extensions

From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
To: Tristan Partin <tristan(at)neon(dot)tech>
Cc: Sutou Kouhei <kou(at)clear-code(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: meson: Specify -Wformat as a common warning flag for extensions
Date: 2024-03-08 06:32:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Mar 07, 2024 at 11:39:39PM -0600, Tristan Partin wrote:
> It sounds like a legitimate issue. I have confirmed the issue exists with a
> pg_config compiled with Meson. I can also confirm that this issue exists in
> the autotools build.

First time I'm hearing about that, but I'll admit that I am cheating
because -Wformat is forced in my local builds for some time now. I'm
failing to see the issue with meson and ./configure even if I remove
the switch, though, using a recent version of gcc at 13.2.0, but
perhaps Debian does something underground. Are there version and/or
environment requirements to be aware of?

Forcing -Wformat implies more stuff that can be disabled with
-Wno-format-contains-nul, -Wno-format-extra-args, and
-Wno-format-zero-length, but the thing is that we're usually very
conservative with such additions in the scripts. See also
8b6f5f25102f, done, I guess, as an answer to this thread:
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/4D431505.9010002%40dunslane.net

A quick look at the past history of pgsql-hackers does not mention
that as a problem, either, but I may have missed something.
--
Michael