Re: Injection points: some tools to wait and wake

From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
To: Bertrand Drouvot <bertranddrouvot(dot)pg(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "Andrey M(dot) Borodin" <x4mmm(at)yandex-team(dot)ru>, Postgres hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Ashutosh Bapat <ashutosh(dot)bapat(dot)oss(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Injection points: some tools to wait and wake
Date: 2024-03-04 01:44:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Mar 01, 2024 at 06:52:45AM +0000, Bertrand Drouvot wrote:
> + if (defined($backend_type))
> + {
> + $backend_type = qq('$backend_type');
> + $die_message = "the backend type $backend_type";
> + }
> + else
> + {
> + $backend_type = 'backend_type';
> + $die_message = 'one backend';
> +
> + }
> +
> + $self->poll_query_until(
> + 'postgres', qq[
> + SELECT count(*) > 0 FROM pg_stat_activity
> + WHERE backend_type = $backend_type AND wait_event = '$injection_name'
> + ])
> + or die
> + qq(timed out waiting for $die_message to wait for the injection point '$injection_name');

I was looking at that, and found v3 to be an overkill. First, I think
that we should encourage callers to pass down a backend_type. Perhaps
I am wrong to assume so, but that's based on my catalog of tests
waiting in my stack.

A second thing is that this is entirely unrelated to injection points,
because a test may want to wait for a given wait_event on a
backend_type without using the module injection_points. At the end, I
have renamed the routine to wait_for_event(), tweaked a bit its
internals, and the result looked fine so I have applied it while
updating 041_checkpoint_at_promote.pl to use it. Its internals could
always be expanded more depending on the demand for it.
--
Michael