Re: Make COPY format extendable: Extract COPY TO format implementations

From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
To: Sutou Kouhei <kou(at)clear-code(dot)com>
Cc: sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com, zhjwpku(at)gmail(dot)com, andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net, nathandbossart(at)gmail(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Make COPY format extendable: Extract COPY TO format implementations
Date: 2024-02-01 21:51:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Feb 02, 2024 at 12:19:51AM +0900, Sutou Kouhei wrote:
> Here are some numbers on my local machine (Note that my
> local machine isn't suitable for benchmark as I said
> before. Each number is median of "\watch 15" results):
>>
> I'll measure again on my local machine later. I'll stop
> other processes such as Web browser, editor and so on as
> much as possible when I do.

Thanks for compiling some numbers. This is showing a lot of variance.
Expecially, these two lines in table 2 are showing surprising results
for v7:
direction format n_columns master v7 v10
from csv 1 917.973 1695.401 871.991
from binary 1 841.104 1422.012 820.786

I am going to try to plug in some rusage() calls in the backend for
the COPY paths. I hope that gives more precision about the backend
activity. I'll post that with more numbers.
--
Michael