Re: why there is not VACUUM FULL CONCURRENTLY?

From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
To: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: why there is not VACUUM FULL CONCURRENTLY?
Date: 2024-01-30 08:14:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Jan 30, 2024 at 09:01:57AM +0100, Pavel Stehule wrote:
> I have one question, what is a block of implementation of some variant of
> VACUUM FULL like REINDEX CONCURRENTLY? Why similar mechanism of REINDEX
> CONCURRENTLY cannot be used for VACUUM FULL?

You may be interested in these threads:
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAB7nPqTGmNUFi%2BW6F1iwmf7J-o6sY%2Bxxo6Yb%3DmkUVYT-CG-B5A%40mail.gmail.com
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAB7nPqTys6JUQDxUczbJb0BNW0kPrW8WdZuk11KaxQq6o98PJg%40mail.gmail.com

VACUUM FULL is CLUSTER under the hoods. One may question whether it
is still a relevant discussion these days if we assume that autovacuum
is able to keep up, because it always keeps up with the house cleanup,
right? ;)

More seriously, we have a lot more options these days with VACUUM like
PARALLEL, so CONCURRENTLY may still have some uses, but the new toys
available may have changed things. So, would it be worth the
complexities around heap manipulations that lower locks would require?
--
Michael